Thousands of people in the North East have been left without power and unable to heat their homes after infrastructure was damaged by the extreme weather caused by Storm Arwen – 3000 homes still remain without power.
We have seen our communities pulling together to help those most in need providing shelter, food and warmth to those affected by the disruption to services. Through our Arwen Fund we are making available up £1,000 of emergency funding to support those groups in County Durham that have provided support for those affected by the weather. This is particularly aimed at community centres, church halls and community groups who will have incurred costs while supporting the most vulnerable.
The Fund will support:
- Activities (advice services etc) that help people to get back on their feet
- Health and wellbeing support
- Running costs and utility costs for organisations providing shelter and emergency relief (we can’t fund retrospective bills but we can help with future sustainability)
- Food, heating and reconnection with families (heaters, blankets, etc.)
- Travel expenses and volunteer costs
If you are working in the local community and need help to run your services, you can apply for up to £1,000 today.
The Fund closes on January 31st 2022