Internet Explorer users Your browser is out of date, insecure and no longer supported by Microsoft. While browsing our site with an out-dated browser, our site may not look as good as it should. To learn more about what other browsers are available, take a look at Browse Happy.

The Household Support Fund provides grants of up to £10,000 for local organisations to support households who require crisis support. The funding can be used to support households with essential costs related to energy, food and water, and with wider essential costs.

Size of grant up to £10,000  (larger grants will be considered, please email to discuss this before applying)

Fund geography County Durham only (the area covered by Durham County Council)

Programme details

Support can be provided in the form of cash, bank transfers, vouchers, or tangible items including food. Organisations must have knowledge of the circumstances of those they distribute support to, including the financial situation of the household.

Who can apply?

Charities, CIOs and community groups that meet our eligibility criteria, and support people within County Durham.

What type of funding can you apply for?

Funding will be awarded to cover the costs of essential items. Organisations awarded funding will be able to use 6% of the total grant for administration costs. The remaining 94% must be distributed as support (eg in the form of cash, vouchers etc).

In addition, the Foundation will provide a further grant to support the distribution of funding. For grants up to £20,000 an additional £1,500 will be awarded. Grants over £20,000 will receive an additional £2,000 (see the guidelines document for full details).

When to apply

Applications should be submitted by 17th December 2023. All funding must be distributed to households by 31st March 2024

Further details are in the Grant Guidelines. Groups should read these carefully before applying.

If you’d like more information, or would like to check your organisation’s eligibility, please email Naomi Stevens